One day, if you ever have the chance to meet me, ask me about my obsession with artichokes. My eyes will roll to the back of my head, the most glorious “MMMMMM” will emanate from my throat, and I will look around eagerly to see if you brought me any. 🙂 I’ve always said don’t bring me flowers, bring me artichokes and I will forgive practically anything!
This recipe comes from Allrecipes.com, but it can be found anywhere. I’ve had it at both the Cheesecake Factory and BJ’s Brewhouse and OMG! Yummmmm-O! And when you order the calamari at Pappadeaux, they throw in fried artichoke hearts as filler – as much as I love calamari, I must admit I prefer the artichoke hearts!
Prepare to feast (I say that because I will eat the whole appetizer plate all by myself. We order two or three depending on how many people are with us).
Fried Artichoke Hearts
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 cups oil for frying, or as needed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or heavy deep skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Place seasoned bread crumbs in a separate bowl. Dip artichoke hearts in the egg mixture, then roll in bread crumbs until they are fully covered.
- Deep-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until deep golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain excess oil. When all the pieces have been fried, place on a serving tray and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Now that I know how to make them at home, I am in some serious trouble! Expect not to find canned hearts anytime soon at your local grocer, I’ll have bought them all!
And even better, they make great snack size bites while reading! So Keep Calm and Read On!